Monday, June 7, 2010

Tom Izzo in the NBA?

INDIANAPOLIS - APRIL 02: Head coach Tom Izzo of the Michigan State Spartans looks on during practice prior to the 2010 Final Four of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament at Lucas Oil Stadium on April 2, 2010 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)


Ever since the firing of Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown, Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo has been named as one of the possible candidates to take over the vacancy. However, Izzo has insisted that he will remain a Spartan and will return to MSU next season.

Today a report surfaced that Izzo is the main candidate now for the job in Cleveland if he chooses to take it. He has not been officially offered a contract yet, but will probably begin talks with the Cavaliers' front office sometime this week. Izzo has been quoted as saying that he would like to win one more NCAA national championship with Michigan State before he considers leaving and coaching elsewhere.

The main question involving any decision the Cavaliers make within the next month will be the impact that it will have on LeBron James staying in Cleveland. With the possibility of Tom Izzo taking control of the coaching staff, I do not think that this will have to much of an impact on whether James decides to leave or go. I still believe that in order for LeBron James to succeed in the NBA on a championship level, he needs to be coached by a well respected and established coach that has been around the league for awhile. Examples would be Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan, or Greg Popovich. LeBron needs to have someone to tell him what to do in crunch situations, not be walked over like Mike Brown was for years.

If I had to assign a percent chance that Izzo accepts the Cavaliers job, I would say 20%. He has been very clear with his intentions of remaining the head coach of the Spartans, but I think he could be lured to the NBA for the right amount of money.

The Courtside Report Homepage

Email me at ch24bu@gmail.com to request a free subscription to The Courtside Report. As soon as a story is posted, it will be emailed to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment